Seaweed, Ginger and Carrot Salad
- 1-1/4 oz seaweed (hijiki is good - want something cut into thin strips)
- 2" piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into very thin strips
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into very thin matchsticks
- 5 T rice vinegar
- 1 T superfine sugar
- 1 lg. cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise, seeded and cut into very thin strips
- 1 lg. mango, peeled and cut into very thin strips
- 2/3 c toasted, salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 T sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 T peanut oil
- 1-1/3 c cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2/3 c mint leaves, shredded
Start by rinsing seaweed in water, drain and then cover generously with cold water. Set aside for 30 minutes.
Bring large pot of water to boil. Drain the seaweed and add it to the boiling water along with the ginger. Boil for 2 minutes then add the carrots. Boil for another 2 minutes, drain and immediately pat dry. Transfer to a large bowl and immediately add the vinegar, sugar and 1-1/4 tsp salt. Mix well and leave aside to cool.
Once the mixture is cool and you are ready to serve, add the cucumber, mango, peanuts, sesame seeds, lime juice, oil, cilantro and mint and stir to mix well.
(Cook's note - try to find a non-seasoned rice vinegar - Eden Organic makes a great brown rice vinegar. Much tastier than what you find at Safeway.)
To toast sesame seeds, place in preheated pan over medium heat, stirring constantly until they start to brown. Remove from pan immediately.