We have found a wealth of information about diet, exercise and health on WebMD. Here is a recent article on the benefits of exercise and staying active. We thought we would share some of the highlights. No matter what your size or shape, being active:
- Makes you feel better.
- Helps you fall asleep and sleep well.
- Gives you more energy.
- Helps you think better and faster.
- Helps you handle stress.
- Makes you healthier.
- Helps you live longer.
- Fitness benefits everyone. in your family
By being active you can prevent many of the diseases that are plaguing our nation right now.
- Coronary artery disease.
- High blood pressure.
- Type 2 diabetes.
- Some cancers.
- If you already have any of these problems, staying active may help you to have better control over them, feel better, and live longer.
Being fit includes keeping your muscles, bones, and joints as active and healthy as possible. Make your muscles stronger by lifting weights—even small ones—is a good way to do this. Weights also increase bone density, which is especially important for older adults
Being more active burns calories. That can help you get to and stay at a healthy weight. Getting regular exercise:
- Helps your body burn more calories even when you're resting.
- May lower your percentage of body fat and increase muscle strength and tone.